Did you know that 90% of all appliance fires are clogged dryer related? Also, did you know that the number 1 cause of house fires are the results of clogged dryer vents? That’s right, those clogged dryers are a very serious threat to your family and your home’s well being.
Very few residents ever have their clothes dryer vents cleaned and even fewer ever have them professionally cleaned! According to a recent FEMA report, 30% of residential clothes dryer fires were caused by lint, fiber and dust. Every year there are an estimated 15,000 clothes dryer fires causing an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries and $35 million dollars in property damage.
How Do You Know It Needs to be Cleaned?
Dryer lint is extremely flammable, all it takes is one small spark to set it ablaze. Usually an individual puts their clothes in the dryer and after the cycle is finished, they come back to check if the clothes are dry. If they are, great. If they are not dry, they close the door and restart the cycle. That’s where the trouble begins.
- More than one cycle to dry. Sure it could be the heating element in your dryer, but most of the time the vents should be cleaned first. Clogged vents actually wears out the heating element.
- Excessive heat. Because the air-flow of the heat is restricted, the heat continues to build up.
- Excess dust. Yes, that’s right. Excess dust begins to build up in your home.
- Visual change in clothing. By continuing running your clothes through extra cycles, it damages your clothing.
It is also important to check the outside of vent cover to make sure that no birds have built a nest. They love warm air too! If you outside vent has louvers, they can get clogged as well.
Professional cleaning of your dryer vents is recommended for 18 months at minimum. Even more if your family is larger and you wash more than the average size family. If you need dryer vent cleaning in Columbus, OH, King of Kings would offer you a FREE inspection.
Several things to consider:
- Safety: You can virtually eliminate a dryer fire by keeping your dryer vent cleaned. Think of all your valuables you would loose if your house caught fire. You would lose all your important documents (unless protected), furniture, clothes, irreplaceable family pictures and heirlooms and worst of all you could lose you life or the life of a family member. Why risk any of this for something that can be easily corrected?
- Energy Savings: When your dryer vents are clean the hot air can pass through faster and in turn cut your drying time down by as much as 1/2 the usual drying time! The less time your dryer is running the less money you are paying the electric company.
- Replacement Cost: Having a clean dryer vent will also dramatically increase the life of your dryer. When the warm air can flow through the dryer has to work less. That puts less stress on the dryer and the working parts inside. A smooth running dryer can not only save you money in energy but also a lot of money on replacement cost. A new dryer can cost over a thousand dollars!
Well, there you have it. If you have any further questions, please call our office or visit us at www.kingofcarpet.com to brows our web-site, and if you are in Columbus, Ohio and you need dryer vent cleaning or air duct cleaning, please give us a call.